Friday 16 September 2011

What I've been watching


I've watched the 2008 adaption of Persuasion, and the 2005 adaption of Price and Prejudice today, a lovely way to spend the day I think cuddled up in bed watching these gorgeous guys on my telly. I love Jane Austen adaptions of films, I've read some of the books, but watched the recent films of her work so much I can't remember the book versions so well.


I think I love how the men are gentlemen and women are ladies. I'd love to live in that time period, if I were well off though :P Oh and the dresses! Love the dresses, not the bonnets the had to wear though. Although when watching Lost in Austen, I can see the difficulties in living in that time after being a 21st century girl!


Of course in these adaptions, the men are all brooding and mysterious and eventually change, all for the girl they've fallen for of course. Well not all, but in these two examples they are. I love how he looks at her here, it's so sweet.


Anne's character does annoy me sometimes, but I love this all the same. I'm glad she got more of a backbone in the end, and the guy too! I think I love it because it's so... sad? You can really see her pain and feel it and she hopes very carefully all the way through, despite thinking it's over.


Then we have Pride and Prejudice and Mr. Darcy. I saw this version before the Colin Firth one, and I love both, but this one's easier to put on and watch all the story quickly. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it. It was my first foray into the Jane Austen world.


I love this scene, how he stumbles over saying he loves her, most ardently! And then they have an argument, and when he apologises its so heartbreaking the way he looks at her.


I wished they'd kissed in this, but then again I'm glad they didn't, it's sweet, touching and gentle. I know there's an alternative ending where they kiss but it's not the same. 

Sadly I know have to go to work, but I'd rather make my way through my small Jane Austen collection instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment